What is rhinoplasty? Rhinoplasty (a.k.a. a nose job) is a rather uncomplicated surgical procedure meant to improve the structure and the shape of your nose. It’s also a virtually pain-free surgery because of the anesthetics that are used.
For the most part, the rationale behind opting for such procedure can be put into two main categories:
- To correct breathing issues due to nasal imperfections.
- To greatly improve the visual appearance of the nose.
However, in today’s post we’re going to take a closer look at nose reshaping done for purely cosmetic reasons.
What Is Rhinoplasty? The Meaning Is Simpler Than You Think
What is Rhinoplasty? It is a medical term for a type of plastic surgery that’s done on the nose or nasal area. The word ‘rhinoplasty’ itself is partly derived from Greek because ‘rhino’ that stands for nose, while the word ‘plasty’ that means to mold or shape.
Hence the popular term ‘nose job’ that most people use.
The Rhinoplasty Procedure Steps
There are six particular steps that usually accompany a rhinoplasty procedure:
- Administering anesthetics – When the surgery begins, you’ll be given either a local or general anesthetic. The former numbs your nasal region, while the latter puts you in a state of deep sleep. Your plastic surgeon will help you decide which option is better for you.
- Rhinoplasty incision – There are two methods here – open or closed. Open means that the plastic surgeon makes an incision right between your nostrils. The closed one is an incision that’s done inside your nose and is mainly used to make small adjustments form and structure of your nose.
- Readjusting and reshaping – This phase of the surgery focuses on achieving the desired form and shape of your nose. In cases when the nose has to be decreased in size, the surgeon might take out some of the extra cartilage or even bone tissue.
- Septum adjustments – If your nasal center is off or if it’s crooked, your doctor can straighten it and even decrease any bulges inside your nose so that you can breathe more easily.
- Sealing the incision – After the surgeon is done sculpting and reshaping your nose, he will pull tight the remaining tissue (and skin) through redraping and then he will close the incisions. Alternatively, your doctor could add more incisions in your nostrils to revamp them even further.
- Check your new look – The rhinoplasty before and after comparison is perhaps the most thrilling stage of this procedure. Your doctor will tell you how to speed up the recovery process after the surgery and if you want to see some relevant before & after nose job photos – click here.
What’s The expected Rhinoplasty Recovery Time?
Most people can expect to get back to work after around seven to ten days after the surgery and resuming sports activities can happen within 1 month.
Note that on average it takes anywhere from ten to fourteen days for most of the bruising and swelling to get better.
Are There Any Rhinoplasty Risks?
There are known rhinoplasty surgery risks that you can expect:
- Impaired breathing
- Anesthesia-associated risks
- Likelihood of previsional surgery
However, scientific data is conclusive that such risks associated with rhinoplasty can be lessened with the increasing expertise and experience of surgeons.
Non Surgical Rhinoplasty: Is It An Option?
According to researchers from the Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery, hyaluronic acid injections are an effective method of non-surgical rhinoplasty for patients wanting to make minor changes to their nose.
Utilizing non-surgical rhinoplasty might be a viable option if you are looking for minimal revisions to the nose area.
Researchers from the Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery examined hyaluronic acid as a method of non-surgical rhinoplasty. What they found is that this method could be considered by certain patients who intend to only make small changes to the shape and size of the nose, or those who are not keen on a surgical approach – whether it’s because of personal or medical reasons.
We at Facial Aesthetic Concepts know that and that’s why we are proud to offer you affordable cutting-edge rhinoplasty.
If you’re still searching for answers to “what is rhinoplasty?”, then have a look at our Rhinoplasty page (including Septoplasty and Tiplasty procedures) or simply call us at 888-744-1828 and schedule an appointment now!